Re: Initiate v. Practitioner

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 05:30:03 -0700 (PDT)

RR:
> Wrong. Page 137 - "Befriend a spirit" and "Create a charm" are both
> Practitioner-level contests. The example on page 135 specifically mentions
> that a practitioner can make his own charms.

I had misremembered "Relationship with [Intercessor]" as appearing in these. They don't.

> > I do not think that practitioners are as independent as you might
> > think, but I could be wrong.
>
> You are.

I think he's right as a matter of Gloranthan fact, even in wrong on the rules. I would think that very few animist societies have people join practices without a shaman being present as a matter of routine. Sure, it can be done without one, but wouldn't it be better to put it off by a few weeks until the shaman is back (when, from a rules perspective, he can augment)? Creating charms is normal life, creating fetishes less so, but still pretty normal.

Jeff:
> Okay - an interesting clarification! I do think that a practitioner
> with a non-practice/tradition charm or fetish on his hands is
> opening himself up to a world of hurt if he tries to use it though.

I think the rules on hostile spirits would almost always apply. That means that, in order to make friends with it, you have to overcome its best ability.

LC:

> Do you have enemy practices within the same tradition? That seems a bit odd.

As RR noted, he meant hostile. However, there is a thing called an "enemy practice." An enemy practice is one that gives tools for defeating a traditional enemy spirit. It is not well represented in the current rules. I have a supplement to them that I use and suggested for inclusion in the next round. It allows rituals for propitiation (before the bad spirit shows up), placation (buying it off when it does), and banishment (fighting it when it does). For example, the Dedra use the Beater and Biter enemy practice to placate or banish the Dark Eater, but it does not give a propitiation ritual.

Chris