Re: One System to Rule Them All

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 05:38:29 -0700 (PDT)

RR:
> For the record, I'm in favor of removing the "equipment" bonuses for
> non-ability weapons in all contests, especially including combat. If you've
> got bog-standard gear, you get no bonus. If you're missing gear, you might
> get a penalty. I might be amenable to +/- equipment bonus/penalty for
> "better gear", but Plate Armor and Two handed Axe vrs No Armor and Dagger
> can favor either side - I had a teacher who could whip most anyone with just
> a stick, so even that isn't a rule I'm totally for.

Here's something I've never understood. Let's say that, in the current rules, you have Great Sword +5. Why not represent this as Great Sword 2W9 and take the +5 auto-augment when appropriate? Then, if the sword gets dinged up in the big fight, maybe it falls down to a 1W19 (if your style of play is that gritty). Or, if you get it enchanted, it goes up to 3W1. Why the different mechanic? Was the point to limit it to extended contests?

Chris