Re: Re: Armour Fiddling

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 22:20:54 +0100 (BST)

> > It's a sraight "Armored Knight 5w vrs Rapier Guy
> 5w" contest. The Armored
> > guy's armor is offset by Rapier guy's precision
> strikes, the knight's sword
> > by his Dodge. It's an even fight.
>
> Maybe its because I don't know much about RL combat.
> But for some
> reason, this just doesn't sound plausible to me.

I must admit that if I were unencumbered by armour, and holding a rapier, against someone in very full plate, I wouldn't be trying to hit them with the rapier. At least, not as my primary attack. Once I've got them from behind and they're lying down, possibly with a broken sword-arm, fine.

> Not in the picture in the Genertela Book it
> wasn't...

Almost pure Malory, isn't it? Meaning C15 full plate, and very nice too.

>Although, to be fair, so long as the
> rules are there (as Robin has recently confirmed
> they will be) I'm not
> really bothered whether they're in a sidebar or the
> main text. So long
> as they're reasonably accessible.

And as long as they accurately model the difference between rivetted mail and butted mail, cope with the differences between protecting from sharp-edge attacks and blunt weapons (do you want padding, or metal?), work out the different arrow heads you need for different types of armour, take helmet design into consideration, and have a nice little table for how long till you collapse from heat exhaustion in different climates...

it's all a question of where you draw the line, and what you find interesting at the time. But something is probably a good idea, because most people probably don't have much practical experience of these things to make a judgement from. Any more than we know how fast you can travel over rough country in a day, without modern back-packing equipment.

Yahoo! Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less, sign up for your free account today http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/mail/winter07.html