Re: Armour Fiddling

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 09:44:26 -0000

I can't help but feel that these posts are missing each others points.

The subsuming of armour, etc into the general 'Melee combat' skill is a simplification, thats all. For example, in my games you have the ye olde 'Close Combat' and 'Range Combat'. What weapon that person uses is just 'colour' for me. Around the table we all know when a pc picks up a weapon that he isn't familiar with and I *may* give an improv, depending on the players narration and stated goal with that weapon.

This is fundementally an issue of preferred playing style. If Heroquest is middle of the road, I lean to the 'less crunchy side of the road, and strip out some of the things in HQ that don't chime with 'my way of GM'ing'. But its more complex than that; I for example make much more use of extended contests, which others find too cumbersome - I just love the to and fro and the excellent narration of the players!

So I vote for a 'basic' HQ, and add a dash of further rules to taste! :^)

Regards
Rob