Re: One System to Rule Them All (Was: Re: [WorldofGlorantha] Re: How Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable?)

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 09:35:16 -0400

On July 21, 2007 06:51 pm, Ashley Munday wrote:

> "If it matters, it's an ability."

That is pretty much the principle I go on.

> And, more to the point, they're all acquired and work
> in the same way. None of this concentrated vs
> unconcentrated stuff, forget the levels of worship -
> if you've got Worship Destor at a high level you're
> probably devoted. I only kept one cost multiplier and
> that was unrelated to story.

*nod* I have less problem with the magic systems (well, less isn't NONE) but I see where you are coming from on this.

> Other manifestations of this:
>
> - Keywords are now abilities - raise 'em as other
> abilities, use 'em or augment with them (you don't get
> the list of abilities under the keyword though). This
> was great for broadbrush characters as well

I've done something like this too. It's the shorthand ability for "all the stuff I should know about because of my character concept". In a way it gets used like an affinity - augment with it for anything related, use it directly with a mod when you have nothing else but should be able to do something.

> - All equipment is now ability based

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If it means "all equipment is an ability", then I went the other way. If the equipment is just kit, it is ignored unless dramatically appropriate for a situational bonus. If it is part of your story, it's an ability.

> - Something I nicked from FATE, scene abilities. A
> scene or location has an ability that players can grab
> augments from. If the scene's "Dark 18" then you get
> +2 to hiding FREX

Huh. I've been doing things like that for a while. Maybe I unconsciously nicked it from somewhere.

> - No penalties for improvisation - if the ability
> fits, great, if it doesn't, sorry but no cigar

That I don't do. I use improv mods for sliding between more or less appropriate abilities.

LC