Re: Armour Fiddling

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 20:45:47 -0700

Jane

> > But then, I'm not really going for the feel of an
>> Icelandic saga in my games, so that's fair enough.
>
>And if someone is, that would explain why they're
>prepared to put up with that level of abstraction.

Short answer: to get through a 50 year story arc in a reasonable number of sessions.

>I've always found the Icelandic sagas barely readable
>because they're so abstract: "X hit Y", with no
>mention of what it felt like or what they thought
>about it. You never get the feeling of being there.

Assuming you've read the more modern translations rather than those older than about 40 years, I'm not going to bother with the long answer. There's a lot of humanity in the stories these people wrote down centuries ago. And the characters are more sympathetic than many a modern tale. And the writing's better than a lot of fantasy fiction (which some of the Viking stories definitely are).

--

David Dunham