Re: One System to Rule Them All (Was: Re: [WorldofGlorantha] Re: How Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable?)

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 13:35:11 +0100 (BST)

I said:

"- All equipment is now ability based"

LC inquired:

"I'm not sure what you mean by this. If it means "all equipment is an ability", then I went the other way. If the equipment is just kit, it is ignored unless dramatically appropriate for a situational bonus. If it is part of your story, it's an ability."

I think we're coming from the same direction. What I mean is that equipment has no effects on a contest (unless the character doesn't have a required doodad to do something) unless the player's taken an ability to represent the equipment. So they don't get +5 for having a set of lockpicks (boring) but they get an +3 augment for "My universal adjusting tool 5w" and another +1 for "Bendy bit of wire 13."

It's the same with combat gear. You don't get +4 or whatever it is for having a spear and shield, but you'll get +1 for "Inherited Dad's spear and shield 13" as it's important to the story. If it's important and usable it'll be listed as an ability and you'll have spent hero points to get it.

Cheers,

Ash