Re: One System to Rule Them All (Was: Re: [WorldofGlorantha] Re: How Much Rule fiddl

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 08:51:22 -0500

>From: "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" <rjremr_at_...>
>
>Well, we'll have to agree to disagree - I don't think it's up to *you* to
>tell *me* how you think my fun will be facilitated.

Then why should anyone ever write a new set of rules? After all, you could just modify Original D&D to fit how you play, right?

A rules set is a vision of one good way to play, no more, no less. It expects to be modified - nobody is saying that the rules set is the only way to play. But no rules set can be the end all for everybody, and it's folly to try. And to not include a complete vision of one good way to play is to produce an incomplete product.

I mean, you have to admit that where you draw the line on what counts as telling you how to play is completely arbitrary here, isn't it? He can tell you that you should roll D20s, and consult a chart, but he can't tell you how the armor rules work?

Mike