Re: Re: Mythic Russia, and Pyrrhic Victories

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 17:25:38 +0100 (BST)

Watcha,

Here's a way I've found works fairly well - if you want a way of representing permanently affecting an opponent in the context of an extended contest.

What you do is let the actor make a bid as normal but say he's trying to place a penalty ability on his or her opponent. Resolve the roll as normal BUT if the person doing the placing succeeds he or she can give the opponent a new ability that they specify. The score in this ability is equal to the number of advantage points they've risked multiplied by a factor depending on how long the ability is going to last:

 x 1 - to the end of the contest

 x 3/4 - for a day
 x 1/2 - for a season
 x 1/4 - it's there for good

This gives players some extra options in extended contests. While you might want to narrate a move in a combat as "I'll chuck sand in his eyes" and reduce the opponents advantage points you could be more vicious and say "I'm diving on the bastard and trying to poke his eyes out" and if you succeed giving the opponent "blind 12" (or whatever) as a permanent ability.

I also use this system for end of conflict results as well. If you loose an extended contest you end up with an ability that's determined by the number of advantage points you loose by.

Cheers,

Ash