RE: Re: Mythic Russia, and Pyrrhic Victories

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 17:33:59 +0100 (BST)

> I largely agree, Rob, but the notion of coming out
> of a fight a bit hurt
> yourself is also pretty realistic as well as
> dramatic. What HQ is missing
> right now is a good way to have this happen (the 7AP
> exchange for Hurts notwithstanding).

Agreed: and why do we have this obsession with "fights" and "combats"? Surely "contests" are what we're discussing?

One immediate problem I can see with the MR method is that it only applies to extended contests.

The method I've tentatively used in the past goes like this: you do your roll, you look at the results. There's a certain amount of effect done to either you or your opponent (or both). Let's be sure I'm using the right words here...
Nothing, Hurt, Impaired, Injured, Dying, in that order.
Or Nothing, Marginal, Minor, Major, Complete, to look at it another way.
Let's say you manage a Marginal victory over your opponent. No consequences to you. But you want something better than that. So, you can shift a level, to Minor, as long as you accept a one level shift in what happens to you. You're now taking the consequences of a Marginal defeat: you're Hurt, and at -1 to some ability or other. Want to make it a Major victory? Take the consequences of a Minor defeat, then. And so on. Shift your effect on the opponent by a level, but take the same shift yourself.

Yahoo! Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less, sign up for your free account today http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/mail/winter07.html