Re: Re: Mythic Russia, and Pyrrhic Victories

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 14:37:00 -0400

On July 26, 2007 12:33 pm, Jane Williams wrote: ).

> Agreed: and why do we have this obsession with
> "fights" and "combats"? Surely "contests" are what
> we're discussing?

I'm trying to. :)

> One immediate problem I can see with the MR method is
> that it only applies to extended contests.

Yes. But that is an important one in the back and forth of an extended contest.

> The method I've tentatively used in the past goes like
> this: you do your roll, you look at the results.
> There's a certain amount of effect done to either you
> or your opponent (or both). Let's be sure I'm using
> the right words here...
> Nothing, Hurt, Impaired, Injured, Dying, in that
> order.
> Or Nothing, Marginal, Minor, Major, Complete, to look
> at it another way.
> Let's say you manage a Marginal victory over your
> opponent. No consequences to you. But you want
> something better than that. So, you can shift a level,
> to Minor, as long as you accept a one level shift in
> what happens to you. You're now taking the
> consequences of a Marginal defeat: you're Hurt, and at
> -1 to some ability or other. Want to make it a Major
> victory? Take the consequences of a Minor defeat,
> then. And so on. Shift your effect on the opponent by
> a level, but take the same shift yourself.

I've seen that one proposed for simple contests, and it does have appeal. I've also seen just using the framing to determine that possibility.

i.e. - If your goal is "Ruin Lucius at any cost" then you would emerge unscathed ONLY on a complete victory in this thinking. Anything less you would be gradually more and more affected until at marginal or tie you are likely both driven from town in disgrace and bankruptcy.