Re: One System to Rule Them All (Was: Re: [WorldofGlorantha] Re: How Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable?)

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 23:59:14 -0400

On July 26, 2007 11:14 pm, John Machin wrote:

> Me too.
>
> In fact I seem to recall telling players this when they were coming up
> with characters.
>
> Is this a house-rule? I got the impression it was an *actual* rule.

I think it is an actual rule, but isn't always appreciated by everyone.

> > I've done something like this too. It's the shorthand ability for "all
> > the stuff I should know about because of my character concept". In a way
> > it gets used like an affinity - augment with it for anything related, use
> > it directly with a mod when you have nothing else but should be able to
> > do something.
>
> I just let people raise it with "long term" development. I haven't had
> any of this since the start of the game though.

*nod* For me, over time, I've found that broad-based abilities (if you improv mod them for being less specific) balance out pretty much with more specific skills.

> I don't like this myself.
>
> I like that equipment has some effect. It appeals to me that expert,
> but mundane, unarmed fighters (Martial Arts 17) get penalised get
> beaten by expert but mundane sword-fighters with weapons and armour
> (Sword and Shield Combat 17 + 3 sword +3 armour + 3 shield). This
> makes economics and technological sophistication part of the contest.

Then to me that means in your games, it is almost always dramatically appropriate. I just find it annoying to have to figure out if someone's lockpicks are +1 or +5 when I can just assume she has appropriate lockpicks.

LC