Re: Re: Mythic Russia, and Pyrrhic Victories

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 12:07:36 -0500

>From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
>
>And, dragging us away from combat and back to contests
>again, how about the guy who ran the first marathon?
>Delivered his message in time, then dropped dead of
>exhaustion. Complete victory: and the protagonist ends
>up "dying".

It's a matter of framing the contest.

Player: My character wants to run all the way to Marathon to deliver the message.
Narrator (Measuring Map): Dude, that's like, 26 miles 385 yards... that'd probably kill him to get there running all the way. Player: That's fine.
Narrator: OK, so the contest is to see whether or not the character can kill himself in this glorious manner. What abilities does he have? Player: Determined, Run Long Distance...

Mike

Don't get caught with egg on your face. Play Chicktionary!� http://club.live.com/chicktionary.aspx?icid=chick_hotmailtextlink2