Re: Re: Mythic Russia, and Pyrrhic Victories

From: Laurent Castellucci <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 22:30:01 -0400

Produced randomly? intriguing.

Actually, my objections are more with the value and that it is inflexible.

  1. Why 7 for 1? Since AP and starting AP varies quite a bit, I find 7=a hurt to be strange.
  2. There are no other options. There is 7 = a hurt (and specifically a -1). There are no variations.

I suppose in some way these 2 add up to "never think to use it" because it doesn't seem to come naturally out of the mechanic.

What I would want is something that allows for generating mechanical advantage during a contest AND allows for in-contest effects that continue on.

So I want something that tells me "apply this mechanical effect" to the current contest - This I have done with unrelated actions. (whcih aren't really unrelated). In other words, someone can take an action in order to get some sort of effect on the values of abilities used and such or they can move AP. For example, with a rhetorical flourish I try to sew distrust between you and the Senate - either I knock down your AP *or* I damage/remove your ability to use your abilities that have to do with your relationship to the Senate.

After the contest, when you have come back to win and have been placed in charge of the army - is your relationship with the senate perfectly fine now or does the distrust I have sewn follow you along?

That's what I want something that incorporates that into a contest without bogging the whole system down to much. I have not found a solution I like, personally.

LC