Re: Mythic Russia, and Pyrrhic Victories

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 13:18:39 -0000

Well you originally said >From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>

>And, dragging us away from combat and back to contests
>again, how about the guy who ran the first marathon?
>Delivered his message in time, then dropped dead of
>exhaustion. Complete victory: and the protagonist ends
>up "dying".

I'd agree with David that I'd not expect a character to drop dead on a complete victory for doing something that many thousands of people do every year without a significant number of fatalites (35,674 people completed the London Marathon this year according to their web site - Wikipedia reports 9 fatalities at the London Marathon since 1981).

Mike suggests it's a matter of framing, but I think his example lets his argument down. I'd suggest it's not a complete victory that leaves you dying in the town square of Marathon having delivered the message but a marginal victory or even a defeat. I'd accept the idea that if the PC's have decided to deliver the message, then the message will be delivered - the elements of uncertainty, and therefore drama are how long it will take, and what toll it will take on the messenger