Re: Re: Mythic Russia, and Pyrrhic Victories

From: Jakob Pape <chaomancer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 18:55:07 +0100

On 8/1/07, Tim Ellis <tim_at_...> wrote:

> Mike suggests it's a matter of framing, but I think his example lets
> his argument down. I'd suggest it's not a complete victory that
> leaves you dying in the town square of Marathon having delivered the
> message but a marginal victory or even a defeat. I'd accept the
> idea that if the PC's have decided to deliver the message, then the
> message will be delivered - the elements of uncertainty, and
> therefore drama are how long it will take, and what toll it will
> take on the messenger

I had a player do something like that, in my game. The group was trying to save an important NPC from magical attack, and things weren't going so well - the lightning bolt was in the air already. The player, who's character was a guard and pretty fanatical about protecting those he looked after, declared he would jump in the way and take the blast. So I asked him to give me a total.

It was awful. He had nothing related to speed, or movement. All he had were his 'unflinchingly brave'-style traits; nothing to actually perform the action, but plenty to motivate it.

So I asked what he did have, and he was Made of Stone 10w, Tough, and so forth. He could make a fantastic total for absorbing damage. We decided to roll for that instead, to assume he made it into the way - the check was for how badly that went for him. A much more interesting contest than his pretty much guaranteed failure at the other one would have been. Of course, he rolled a 20 and I a 1, so that was the end of Moranus; but he saved the king and was a hero even so.

Framing the more interesting contest seemed to work pretty well. Sorry for dragging out another combat example, though.

--
Jakob Pape

"Sometimes subtlety comes in the form of large explosions and jammed open
airlock doors."