Re: Re: Mythic Russia, and Pyrrhic Victories

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 09:53:10 +0100 (BST)

> --- In HeroQuest-rules_at_yahoogroups.com, Jane
> Williams
> <janewilliams20_at_...> wrote:
> > I thought I had, with the Marathon one.
> >

> Which I had given MY solution to. Not the right or
> universally
> accepted solution, but my one, as I read the rules.

I can't now remember which one was yours :(

> > There's always a straight combat - standard
> results
> > say that if you inflict any level of defeat on
> your
> > opponent, you take no damage.
>
> Not completely unscathed, but not enough to take a
> penalty.

Exactly. Which may not be what we want. "enemy dead, me badly injured" is the option we're after here, as an alternative to "enemy injured, me fine".

> > Or how about the case of the children trapped ina
> > burning building? How many can you get out? All,
> > undamaged: none, they all die screaming horribly
> as
> > their parents watch...?
> >
> > How much damage you take doing it is a separate
> > question. But the Roolz at present assume that for
> any
> > level of success (some kids out), you take no
> negative
> > consequences at all.
>
> Ah, but the burning building would be a series of
> simple contests

Let's say we're doing it as a simple contest. Just one.

> In some films a
> whole hour is given to the events in such a
> situation.

Sure, and then we're probably over to extended (where, again, there is no way of getting yourself injured while succeeding).

> I think this is why Heroquest is described as a
> toolkit of mechanisms
> to use to resolve dramatic situations. There are no
> hard and fast
> rules about what you should use and when.

No, but we do seem to be lacking a tool at this point. I *can* carry on using the handle of the screwdriver as a hammer, but I'd rather not.

Yahoo! Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less, sign up for your free account today http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/mail/winter07.html