Re: Ridiculous circular marathon arguments

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 10:42:44 -0000

I don't think so. It's using the implied "I'll try to... ...safely" and offering a choice of results, but not a chance to change the action.
IE what we have here is
Player: "I will run to Marathon and deliver the message" GM assigns resistance - dice are rolled and player suffers complete defeat
GM: "OK, You were trying to run to Marathon to deliver the message, and by implication, to do so without suffering any lasting harm, but you failed, so either you failed to reach Marathon, or you get there, but on a complete defeat, you collapse as you arrive, and are now dying..."
Player: "If I don't make it, I'll likely be caught by the invading army and killed anyway, so I'll die like a hero!"

What the player can't do, anymore than you can choose not to jump off the cliff once the dice are rolled is change his action. We know he is trying to run to deliver the message before he rolls the dice. Once we know his level of success or failure we can determine what the outcome is...