Re: Mythic Russia, and Pyrrhic Victories

From: Ian Young <ian.d.young_at_...>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 14:08:00 -0000

Ashley Munday wrote:

> Here's another option to allow characters to do better
> in contest, allow them to take a new ability and
> immediately add it to their target number or advantage
> points. They choose the level of ability and, through
> negotiation with the GM, choose the name. You could
> even allow this after a player has rolled the dice, it
> might mean re-evaluating masteries and the like but
> who cares?

Late for the play and all, but...

...This bears a great similiarity to a rule that I've been using for another game (which I happen to be working on converting to HQ). Players can attempt to declare the severity of their wounds as a bonus to their attacks instead of a penalty, depending on the emotional disposition of the character. I'm not sure exactly how it would work out in HQ, but I imagine the bonus would go into effect upon a successful passion or relationship roll.

Of course, having just written that, I have to ask myself why I wouldn't just use the passion or relationship score as an augment, perhaps further augmented by the severity of the wound. So perhaps what we're discussing here is akin to developing a new passion -- a "life-altering experience" -- in the face of great danger or desperation.

!i!