[WorldofGlorantha] Re: Ho Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable?

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 12:57:27 -0000

Hi

Here is a house rule that extrapolates from the rules. The rules (I dont have my book) say that you can use any ability for any task as long as there is a reasonable argument for using that ability, but usually with an improv. Now, the book states that if you are talking about an improv of say, -20 or -30 then maybe they should look for another ability or take the default 6.

With the use of feats what I normally do is apply a -5 for word changed. For example, 'Run up Cliffs' to 'Run up side of ship' I would normally only apply a -5 improv penalty. One reason is that this is the sort of play and inventiveness I want to see from my players.

I think the thing to consider here is roughly how usefull you want magic to be. If you can only use run up cliffs for running up cliffs, then its not going to feature much in your games.

With a system like Heroquest these are one of the considerations that Narrators need to consider up front, perhaps with player input, on whether they want to go 'gritty' or 'heroic'. What I mean by those terms, for clarity, is that in games with a more 'heroic' motif, then you may give the players a lot more latitude as to what they can or cannot do with their abilities and the sort of resistances you apply to certain activities.

With a 'gritty' motif, then improv penalties play more of a part, strict adherence to a set of relative scales of things, the use of armour and weapon bonuses, making injury even in victory a common occurrence and abilities/ feats are used in a more narrowly defined pattern. That sort of thing.

Actually, maybe Mr Laws might want to make a note that the Generic HQ rules when they come out should have a section 'Setting it all up' to give advice to new HQ Narrators on these sort of considerations.

Cheers
Rob