Re: Temporarily Joining a Hero Band

From: David <daveolloyd_at_...>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 16:04:52 -0000

Hi!

I think that joining a hero band is a fairly rare occurence because of the escalating hero point costs involved (the rules encourage players to form their own hero band). Also, I gather that most people play clan-based adventures, which would eliminate the need to join different hero bands.

However, this doesn't work as well for the "wandering adventurers" model. Even in a set of interconnected scenarios like Gathering Thunder, it could well be advantageous to join or form a different hero band "temporarily" for each adventure (the players could use their own hero band for most of the scenarios, but could form a new one to use with the Vendref for that scenario and then join a more powerful hero band "temporarily" for the Ship in the Sky scenario). The example in the rulebook where the heroes temporarily join the Ibex hero band (I think) as guards is another case where this would be done.

I raised the issue because I am considering a "one shot" expedition to the underworld, I want the players to be able to join a hero band whose guardian negates the alien world penalty, and I am debating whether to charge a hero point and then impose a penalty when they leave the hero band they "temporarily" joined.

Sorry about the length of this answer.

Thanks,
David.