Re: Re: Temporarily Joining a Hero Band

From: Paul King <paul_at_...>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 23:47:41 +0100

On 15 Aug 2007, at 14:51, David wrote:

> The underworld is used in the rules as the example of when you take
> the -20 alien world penalty...so (maybe by stretching the rules a
> bit) I think that it
> would be reasonable to allow a guardian to cancel an alien world
> penalty.

It's within the rules, but it's a big power. Which is why I'd look at other ways. A Guardian that happens to be an Underworld native so it gets all abilities boosted while there is a good start, and far more likely.

> Also, looking at it from a purely result-oriented point of view, a -20
> modifier to all abilities is way too big for players to overcome
> unless the demons of the underworld are ridiculously weak. (I've
> never played it, but I've wondered how an animist or sorcerous player
> could manage in the Sky Ship scenario).

Generally HeroQuesters don't go to the Underworld proper, staying on the Hero Plane instead. There are likely to be bits of it that are "friendly" to at least some PCs. And then there's preparation, community support and a huge stack of HPs. Experimental HeroQuesting is meant to be dangerous. But it's your decision.