RE: Digest Number 2573

From: Silburn, Luke <luke.silburn_at_...>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 11:27:53 +0100

Jamie:
>>From a game design perspective Hero Points sit wrong for me,
>>in areas where concentrated magic users are rare and every
>>player is using mixed magic it feels far more natural to just
>>ditch the rules.
>>
>>I guess, as Mike points out, it seems to hinge on what Hero
>>Points actually are. The text doesn't adequately address this
>>issue, and the mix of character advancement and dice modifier
>>feels unnatural.

Personally I have no problem with HPs being used for both long-term advancement and short-term "I really need to succeed" chips - I think there's an interesting choice at the game level for having a single stock for both of those actions.

Where there is potential for a change that might be beneficial, is in the rules around how you acquire HPs. A flat 3-5 per chunk of gametime (session, adventure, whatever) seems to be missing a trick - games like The Burning Wheel explicitly give you rules for picking up their equivalent of HP by getting yourself into trouble (aka a heroic situation) via your character traits and I wonder if something similar could be included in the game.

Regards
Luke