Re: Digest Number 2573

From: Jamie <anti.spam_at_...>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 18:31:04 -0000

Luke:
> Personally I have no problem with HPs being used for both long-term
> advancement and short-term "I really need to succeed" chips

Its not that I mind their dual purpose, just that they can pull in different directions, rewarding different styles of play.

I prefer them as a way to encourage direct investment in the conflicts, and also to highlight, via advancement, those areas of the character that the player is most interested in.

But, they can also be used in a very mechanical way that has no impact on the story, which can lead to them to be used purely as a resource both in bumping and advancement.

Now, I don't mind that the game can be played both ways, but when you advocate one style and the rules appear to better support the opposite then you have problems that are sometimes only exposed in the middle of play.