Re: Concentrating Magic

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 23:29:50 +0100 (BST)

> Over on the HeroQuest-RPG list, Jane Williams wrote:
>
> > If you wanted something more complicated, I'd go
> for a
> > "concentrated in <otherworld>" ability, to be used
> as
> > a positive or negative augment as appropriate. I'm
> > pretty sure it's been suggested before. Numbers
> would
> > need a bit of juggling to get the right effect,
> but
> > that's a question for the Rules list rather than
> this
> > one.

> So, how about it? How would the numbers need to be
> juggled to
> transform concentrated magic from its current form
> to an ability?

My feeling was that for a negative augment to effectively stop another form of magic from working at all, it would need to be a -17 augment. I won't work out the ability level that implies, but it's ridiculously large. And the "stops it completely" level of ability should be *normal* for a fully concentrated devotee.

Working the other way, do we really want a Concentrated person to get a +17 to their magical abilities?

I like the idea of everything being an ability, but having suggested this, I still don't see how to make it workable. Let's hope someone else is better with Numbers than I am (not hard!)

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/