Re: Concentrating Magic

From: Paul Albertella <glorantha_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 06:28:19 -0000

Ian Young wrote:
> So, how about it? How would the numbers need to be juggled to
> transform concentrated magic from its current form to an ability?

We're actually using some Concentration rules along these lines in my Arkat Alumnus PBEM. It's still early days and no-one's actually had occasion to use Concentration yet, but here are the rules that we're using (NB: all of the PCs are Apprentices, so this may have given a certain slant to the rules):

  1. Concentration is not merely an abstract binary state, it is an ability Concentrated on [Magic], which represents the character's level of commitment to a magic system.
  2. This ability can be used to augment any magical abilities within the system to which it pertains, or other relevant situations (e.g. the contest to be accepted as an apprentice).
  3. When a concentrated character deals with another type of magic, however, this ability operates as a flaw. If your character is resisting magic that originates in different Otherworld, for example, the flaw automatically counts as a 'negative augment' (i.e. -1 per 10 rating).
  4. Unconcentrated characters suffer a -10 penalty in all Otherworlds. Concentrated characters don't suffer this penalty in their own Otherworld, but suffer a penalty equal to their Concentration ability in the others.
  5. The rule about halving the cost of increasing magic abilities for concentrated characters does not apply; instead all characters pay the concentrated cost for magic abilities.
  6. Common Magic can still only be used passively (i.e. as an augment) or defensively, unless the character is concentrated. Characters must have attained at least 1W in their Concentrated On X ability in order to use Common Magic abilities actively.
  7. For abilities that specifically require a character to be concentrated (e.g. a devotee's feats, spirit allies), the concentration ability must have attained a mastery in their Concentrated On X ability in order to use these abilities.
  8. Concentration is an ability like any other, so you have to buy it in the first place and spend HPs (or the initial 20 character creation points) to improve it (or decrease it).
  9. In order to learn a secret, the character must have attained a level of at least 1W2 in this ability, in addition to the normal requirements.

:¬p