Re: Concentrating Magic

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 08:17:17 +0100 (BST)

> What's wrong with the idea of saying that if a
> character has "Concentrated in A" X and they try
> using
> magic from realm/sphere/kazi B then the minimum
> resistance they have to overcome to get it to work
> is X.

I like. That makes a sensible level ability give the right sort of difficulty to using other magic. So there's an internal struggle to be able to use the magic at all, before we start looking at the resistance from the normal opposition.

Rory:
> Concentration in one Otherworld eliminates the
> possibility of concentrating in another,
> which having it be "just a skill" doesn't

To some extent that's deliberate: HQ does not do "impossible", it does "10W15 resistance". We do not want to have the D&D "wizards can't use swords" problem, where the obvious question is "what's stopping me from picking up that sword in front of me?" We need an in-game reason, an idea of what it feels like, how hard it is.

> (Sure, you can put a caveat on the use of this
> one type of skill "Can't have any other
> Concentration abilities", but that's adding
>a "special rule" and thus complexity).

Is there a special rule that stops me having skills in both "tall" and "short"? No? Same principle.

Paul:
> 3) When a concentrated character deals with another
> type of magic, however, this ability operates as a
> flaw.... a 'negative augment' (i.e. -1 per 10
rating).

> 8) Concentration is an ability like any other, so
> you have to buy it in the first place and spend HPs
> (or the initial 20 character creation points)
> to improve it (or decrease it).

Do you find that gives enough of a disadvantage to using other types of magic, though? Or has the game not yet got far enough to say?

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/