Request for some math

From: Mike <neoallianz_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 06:14:46 -0000

Hi all,

I have one thing that distrubs me about HQ/HW and that is the missing of a scale, how to judge things..it makes it difficult for new players like me. I have read a bit about the scaling conversasion here and don't want to resurrect it.

I want just to have a basic scale or numbers on how to judge if something is difficult or easy for a character. I think I read something about that in the book, but I can't find it anymore.

So here is what I need your system and math knowledge for:

Difficulity Resistance Chance to Succeed

Very easy         = Player skill - Z    90%
Easy              = Player skill - Y    75%
Average           = Player skill - X    65%
Difficult         = Player skill        50%
Challenging       = Player skill + X    35%
Very Difficult    = Player skill + Y    25%
Nearly Impossible = Player skill + Z    10%

I am not sure about the chances of success for 'Difficult', it is just a feeling that it might be something like that.

So I need values for X,Y and Z. Can somebody here help me with gaining those values?

One small remark about the scaling thread and the problems there. I personally would handle "Strong" and "Superhuman Strength" or "Swordfighting" and "Best Sword fighter" the same. The discribtions are just for flavor and the skill number is what counts. My personally way to handle it. So please don't comment it or argue with it ;)

Thanks in advance for your help. I hope that with the numbers I can grasp the rules a bit better and convince a few friends of the game.