RE: Re: Concentrating Magic

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 13:36:59 -0500

Gloranthan cults? I guess. If I said that it wouldn't be a problem for me, even in a Glorantha game where I was trying to stick to canon, would you believe me, or would I have to pull out yet another rationale.

Let's be clear, it's a game-mechanical construct that I like because it makes concentration a balanced choice for the player. And it happens to be one that I like thematically as well. As such, I will find rationales as to why it works that way in play. I don't use RPG rule systems to simulate some in-game reality, but to create fun choices for players. The in-game reality will be forced to do whatever it must in order to comply. Yes, I realize that for some the response will be, "but I don't like to play that way!" To which I can only respond, "OK, don't play that way." Your reply doesn't mean that I must have some problem with how it works, or that anyone else must. Nobody has said that this method is the only sane way to play. Mike

The problem with this theory, of course, is that some cults specifically have spells/spirits/feats for resisting foreign magic. :)(Not that I don't love this description.)On September 18, 2007 01:41 pm, Mike Holmes wrote:> >YGWV. I don't recall any Gloranthan stories where people became more> > susceptible to foreign magic as they became skilled in their own.>> Well that's hardly an issue for me since I don't play in Glorantha much.> But the rationale that I use is not that they become more susceptible, but,> rather, that they don't believe in the power opposing them, and, therefore,> don't resist as much.>> "I am a shaman of Waha, and I know the truth! Your western wizardry is> naught but chicanery. Do your worst!">> Then, after getting up off the ground blasted black by wizardry power. "You> have summoned some demon from the underworld to smite me... I shall resist> this by talking to him in the old speech, and convincing him to smite you> instead!">> Then after getting up off the ground... slowly this time... "Ah, I see,> I've angered Waha... pardon me as I go off to beseech his forgiveness for> not honoring him properly.">> You get the idea.>> Mike>>>>

Kick back and relax with hot games and cool activities at the Messenger Café. http://www.cafemessenger.com?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_SeptWLtagline