Re: Two goals?

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 14:57:18 -0400

On September 23, 2007 06:00 am, Jane Williams wrote:
> --- "L.Castellucci" <lightcastle_at_...> wrote:
> > How do you all model two goals going on
> > simultaneously?
>
> I try not to...

This is because you are wise. :-)

> > We always discuss examples and how the system
> > handles them. The Empire Strikes
> > Back is on my tv right now. Interestingly, I am not
> > sure how I would model
> > that final confrontation between Luke and Vader.
> > HOWEVER - The dialogue shows Vader trying to goad
> > the Dark Side out of Luke
> > from the beginning. So is Vader actually in an
> > extended contest to do that
> > from the beginning and all aspects of the physical
> > fight are unrelated actions/extras?
>
> In this example, I'd say Vader's goal is to convert
> Luke to the Dark Side, and physically beating him is
> just one means of knocking his confidence. So in fact,
> there is only one goal, one extended contest, and
> nothing is unrelated.

I tend to agree. But there are two problems with that interpretation.

  1. Vader absolutely is shown setting up the carbon trap as a means to capture and bring Skywalker to the Emporer. i.e. - it is his stated goal.
  2. How exactly do we handle the severed hand? In a "Trying to convert him to the Dark Side contest" - where does the severed hand come in?

(I suppose you could argue he gets a Major victory, and then goes for a final action for a complete victory, and gets reversed enough for Luke to get to only minor defeat - but the major victory needs to stand. But even so, how many narrators are going to assign a major physical penalty in such a situation?)

> But the question of doing two things at once is a good
> one. Can we find an example that doesn't get
> re-interpreted as a single goal?

Yes. We can let slide the example in question.

> erm....
>
> if I'm trying to simultaneously cook a meal and carry
> on an intelligent conversation on a totally different
> subject? To make life even more awkward, let's say
> it's a phone conversation, so I need one hand to hold
> the phone to my ear - the two activities do interfere
> with each other.

I'm not sure I would see that as an extended contest. Two simultaneous goals are something the rules try to avoid for bookeeping reasons, but it exists of course.

I also think this example isn't quite analagous. In some ways, I think it's easier to deal with very different goals then somewhat overlapping ones.

LC