Re: Two goals?

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 15:47:06 -0400

On September 23, 2007 03:21 pm, Jane Williams wrote:

> > 1) Vader absolutely is shown setting up the carbon
> > trap as a means to capture
> > and bring Skywalker to the Emporer. i.e. - it is his
> > stated goal.
>
> Sorry, I'm not familiar enough with the details of the
> scene to have known that. Still, that sounds like a
> case where the player initially states that as their
> goal, but after discussion with the GM, realises that
> in fact it's only a means to an end.

*nod*
We should come back to the example. I'm not sure I accept this interpretation. But you're right, we should start with something simpler.

> Yes.
>
> >- but the major victory needs to
> > stand. But even so, how
> > many narrators are going to assign a major physical
> > penalty in such a situation?)
>
> In extended, probably not many. In chained simple -
> yes, quite possibly. And maybe those narrators need to
> start considering it.

It does seem to have it's advantages. I'm never quite sure how much carryover to use. I really do need to play around with them. I'm loathe to give up extended contests completely, though, as there are aspects I really like about them.

> Ta. I'm sure we can come back to that one, but
> something simpler may be a better place to start.

This has to do with the wise thing i mentioned earlier. :)

> > I'm not sure I would see that as an extended
> > contest.
>
> Nor would I in practice (I see very little as an
> extended contest, though), but it seems to be a simple
> enough example that we can use it for discussion.
>
> > I also think this example isn't quite analagous. In
> > some ways, I think it's
> > easier to deal with very different goals then
> > somewhat overlapping ones.
>
> Sure. Hence my preference for working out the
> comparatively easy case before going on to the harder
> one.

*nod*
LC