Re: Two goals?

From: Neil Smith <neil.yahoo_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:59:47 +0100

On Monday 24 Sep 2007 4:24 am, L.Castellucci wrote:

> Which is why I offered it as an option. One possibility is to assume that
> Vader just switched goals. You also note I was asking which goal he seemed
> to switch to.

My mistake in quoting the wrong message. I got the impression that people had forgotten that goals can be switched during an EC.

> Then there's the issue of "did he just switch goals because his original
> goal was taken away"? -- that's something that I'm really not sure how to
> model in the rules.

I'll now embarrass myself by my lack of geek credentials by admitting that I can't recall the scene in detail. But how about this as a rules-speak version of it?

Initially, Vader's goal is to trap Luke in the carbonite. He does this by using his 'Lightsabre Combat' ability, augmented by his 'Intimidate' and 'The Power of the Dark Side Flows Through Me' abilities. They have a back-and-forth and Vader realises that they're fairly evenly matched when it comes to fighting.

However, Vader also notices that Luke's augments with his 'I Follow the Light Side' aren't adding much. Knowing that the goal is to turn Luke, Vader then switches goals to convert Luke to the dark side. This is mainly governed by Vader's 'The Power of the Dark Side Flows Through Me' augmented by 'Lightsabre Combat' (to prevent Luke having time to think and hence offset his 'Consider Yoda's Teachings' ability). A few more exchanges of banter, then...

Luke loses.

Minor Defeat. The hand is severed. -10% for all physical actions (has to use off-hand to fight).

Vader then goes for his Parting Shot with his 'You are Voldemort's father' revelation. This pushes Luke down to Major Defeat. -50% to all abilities when resisting the call of the Dark Side. Rather than risk another confrontation with Vader, Luke leaves the scene the only way he can.

He's now nagged by doubts about all he's been taught and (IIRC) spends much of the next film moping around.

How does that sound?

> And this is a solution I keep coming back to - that AP bids are allowed to
> cause mechanical effects.

A good solution and it works.

I'm playing Dogs in the Vineyard at the moment. In that game, all exchanges in an extended conflict are expected to both move you closer to your goal as well as having all sorts of other effects. Sometimes, those other effects mean you give up on your goals. Frex, the other week we had the PCs trying to exorcise the demons from a couple of young, unmarried lovers. As their go, he decided to enact their suicide pact. The PCs conceded their exorcism goal, rather than see the youngsters die.

Neil.

--
Neil Smith                               http://www.njae.me.uk
Milton Keynes Roleplaying Games Club  http://www.mk-rpg.org.uk