Re: Two goals?

From: Paul King <paul_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 19:19:34 +0100

On 24 Sep 2007, at 14:07, L.Castellucci wrote:

> He drives Luke back and Luke falls into the Carbon Freezing pit.
>
> "All too easy," Vader muses, and flips the switch activating the
> machine.
>
> Luke jumps out of the machine before it freezes him.
>
> "Impressive," Vader says, "Most Impressive."
>
> THERE is my question.
>
> Vader got him to a trap (his stated goal) and then sprung the trap.
> He failed.

Interesting. One possibility that works for Chained and Extended is that LUKE won the exchange and the group decided to Narrate it that way. Eliminating the carbonite trap is a narrative consequence of Luke's victory.

In an extended contest it might be that Darth Vader reduced Luke to nearly zero, but Luke succeeded in a Desperation Stakes bid well enough to turn the tables.

It seems to me to be a bit harder to do that in a Chained Contest. Maybe the GM ruled that Luke should be allowed one last chance to get out of the situation. (Maybe he was very unlucky and had plenty of HP left).