Re: Two goals?

From: Neil Smith <neil.yahoo_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 20:11:14 +0100

L.Castellucci wrote:

> So... how does that work? Was there one contest in which Vader got a marginal
> victory and then a whole new contest started? Was there never a goal for the
> carbonite? Was Vader winning, bid enough to freeze Luke and lost that
> exchange, and the ref ruled "well, you sprang the trap and so now that option
> is out - you can switch goals if you can come up with something interesting"?
> Was it always a contest about converting Luke and the carbonite was either an
> unrelated contest or just an AP bid that was expected to give mechanical
> bonus?

Yep, one of those. They all sound reasonable. Any of those mechanical descriptions could have produced the sequence of events in the film. Which one you'd use if you wanted to recreate that scene would depend on what you, as a group, wanted to achieve.

> From what little I know of DitV, the escalation aspect of the mechanics
> specifically are geared for such things.

In this case, I wasn't talking about the escalation. In DitV, conflicts involve Raises and Sees (equivalent to actions and defending in HQ extended contests) and the Raises and Sees are all done by moving dice across the table (the dice are equivalent to APs in HQ). The point is that in DitV, every Raise (= 'go' in a HQ EC) both moves you closer to your goal and also can have a profound effect on the narrative. I was using it as an example that you can have bids in ECs have similar effects and have it work.

Neil.