lists, groups and rationales

From: Steve Lieb <steve_at_...>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 09:45:28 -0500

From: Sir Ethilrist <stefan.drawert_at_...>
> Subject: Glorantha-newsgroups, anybody?

This has been discussed with some regularity in the Glorantha Digest (in fact, I think I asked once) to which the answer has been: "Everyone can get email, not everyone can get news groups (especially at work). This, plus the facts that a) this is working pretty well, aside from a depressing lack of ability to seach (which I what I would really like); and b) that newsgroups eventually end up getting spammed both mean that an alt.frp.herowars or alt.frp.glorantha is unlikely, IMO.

Reminder to all: you can on this or the HeroWars list change your preferences to getting a daily digest, instead of a flood of emails. Or, you can set your preferences to only read it on the web at egroups.com, and get no emails at all. Also, I just want to remind people that both the web site of HeroWars and this list have some very useful links in terms of the draft rules on the web, character creation examples, etc.

> > I asked this as part of a response on HW-rules, but as it's really more
> > a GLoranthan issue than a rules issue I thought I'd repeat it here
> > (should there be a rule on crossposts?)
>
> Anyone on either list not know about the other?
>
> HW-Rules: hw-rules_at_...
> HeroWars: HeroWars_at_egroups.com
>
> There. hopefully everyone will join *both* lists (though why, exactly, we
> need two of them, plus the Glorantha Digest (send a "subscribe" request to
> glorantha-digest-request_at_...) is another thing entirely)

Fair enough. I started this list on my own to draw all the hw-rules discussions off the digest where they would inevitably resolve to "the rules aren't out yet so shut yer yap" with about that level of politeness. Greg agreed that it would be a Good Thing (tm). Additionally, Jeff started the HeroWars group as an alternative to the Glorantha Digest, where the cantankerousness rating is pretty high. Both of us are committed to preventing that on our respective lists.

I found this worked very well with RQ, when there was the "RQ-Rules" and "Glorantha" digests. There is a constant flow of discussion on RQ-Rules about the system itself - very much like here - while the minutae of Gloranthan philosophy and mythology are debated heatedly (bitterly?) on the Glorantha Digest.

Think of them in usenet terms: this list is alt.frp.herowars.rules.moderated; Herowars is alt.frp.herowars.moderated; Glorantha digest is alt.frp.glorantha. Granted, the difference between "the rules" and "the world" is far less with HW than with RQ, and the liklihood of HW being applied to other settings (Greyhawk, fantasy earth) practically nil making this list rather less likely to be uniquely useful. However, the level of traffic (more than 2400 posts in four months, three of them being before the rules were even OUT) would be indicative that perhaps it is of SOME value. :)

-Steve