Re: How do you handle one-off blessings

From: Gavain Sweetman <gavain.sweetman_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 11:07:56 +0000 (GMT)

> ---Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
> > --- Gavain Sweetman <gavain.sweetman_at_ btinternet. com>
> > wrote:

> > Hi All
> >
> > I was reading with interest Greg's comments on the
> > World of Glorantha list about scarificing to other
> > gods in a pantheon especially this statement:
> >
> > "We can sacrifice to any of the deities of our
> > pantheon and obtain a blessing."
> >
> > How would you guys handle this? My initial thought
> > was to have the blessing at rating 13, but this
> > makes the idea of assistance from other gods as
> > rather weak.
>
> I'd see that "we" as meaning "the clan", rather than
> an individual. The entire warband (and fyrd?) all
> getting a +1 is a lot better than just one person
> getting it. Even so, yes, more would be more
> impressive.

I was thinking on the individual level, but there I see no difference between individual, raiding party, warband or entire clan for this. Just the support levels making your ability to request the aid better.

> I don't have the rules to hand, but ISTR something
> about the rewards from a HQ varying in "size"
> depending on how long they last: one-off, this year,
> "forever"... is there anything useful there that could
> be borrowed? After all, this *is* the rewards of a HQ,
> just one that's been done off-screen.

Yeah, that's an idea.. looks it up.. There is a narrator decided factor at the end of heroquests anything from 1/10 the bonus (permanent effects) to 3x the bonus for one off effects.

I would set resistances based on the type and commonness of the blessing. I wouldn't use the resistances for divine aid (10W3 own god, 10W6 other pantheon gods) though these could be upper limits.

e.g. 10W2 to ask Chalana Arroy to help a non-healer to heal wound but higher 10W3 to as her to help calm Uroxi as it is a less common blessing.

> > Especially as some cults are mainly
> > worshiped on a one off basis e.g Vinga the Avenger
> > and Orvanshagor Dragonslayer. As a devout Orlanthi
> > you would hope for a bonus of more than +1 when
> > going to fight a dragon!

> I think you'd need it. And I think +1 to every other
> dragon you fight this year as well wouldn't be much of
> a consolation.

Not when the first one eats you :-((