Re: Runelords

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 10:54:10 -0700

> > I might require something like 5 levels of mastery in at least 3
> > abilities as being the recognition, given the default power level
> > of the game.
>
> Er: so Harrek the Berserk has just four levels of mastery in his best
> abilities (HW p.118), but every Rune Lord has five? That sounds just plain
> wrong to me.
>
> Did you maybe mean "three levels of mastery in at least five abilities"?
> Even that would IMO be rather extreme. Gunda the Guilty, Sir Ethilrist and
> Beat-Pot Aelwrin are no better than this. And they damn well ought to be
> more impressive than a common-or-garden entry-level Rune Lord.

I think what David meant was "five masteries split over three skills", so he might have two abilities waech with two masteries plus one mastery in a third skill, or three masteries in one skill and a single mastery each in two others.

However, from the FAQ:

Q:
 What are Rune Lords now in Hero Wars? If I am a devotee of Humakt, does that mean that I am a Sword of Humakt? If so, it seems like the entry requirements are a lot easier nowadays, even if I also have to take the Priest occupational keyword.

A:
 A "Rune Lord," generally speaking, is anyone who has acquired a mastery in each of their cult's affinities (though there are usually other requirements as well). A devotee of a deity is not the same as the old rune lord.

A rune lord is a worshipper who so embodies the attributes (i.e., physical skills, mental skills, virtues, and affinities) of the deity that he becomes a living representative of the deity in the Inner World. He gains access to additional powers, and generally spends all of his time doing the deity's work. A rune lord (or rune priest as some were known) is not merely a devotee who spends more time worshipping the deity. Indeed, a rune lord might not spend more time than a communal worshipper in the temple to his god. Instead, he is out in the world, doing the things that his deity did, and exercising his devotion to the deity in everything that he does. Thus, a Sword of Humakt is the embodiment of Humakt in the Inner World. Although he spends about 90% of his time being a Sword of Humakt, this time is not spent in prayer. Instead, the Sword will be a war leader, perhaps a mercenary captain, and his time is devoted to practicing war and combat, either by training his followers, fighting in battles, or performing the heroquests that made his god the greatest warrior in Glorantha.

Priest is a term that describes an occupation, not a magical status. Although most temple leaders who are priests will be devotees, it is possible for an initiate to also be a priest, probably a junior priest or the like who assists the more magically powerful priests. On the other hand, a Sword of Humakt certainly will be a War Leader, Mercenary Captain, or the like, and will not have the priest keyword. Priests of Humakt are known; their duties are to lead worship for initiates, to stand in during the communal worship when Humakt has a role, and to tend the administration of a temple. Thus, he has a job of running his god's temple and ensuring the continued worship of the god, but by no means can be said to be "living the life" of his god.

RR