New Extended Contests vs. Old Extended Contests

From: Brian Curley <bkcurley_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 08:32:36 -0500

I was thinking about the new Extended Contest mechanics. While I really like them, I don't care for the complete elimination of the previous Extended Contest mechanics (with APs). I couldn't put my finger on why until recently...

In the old mechanics your starting APs were based on the ability score you used at the start of the contest. So there was a strategic advantage to going first and starting with an ability that you believed would force your opponent to start with a lower number of APs (since they have to resist with something appropriate to your acting ability) than they might choose if they went first. And since changing abilities did not change the APs once a contest had begun, that advantage carried over until the contest was resolved in some way.

Maybe I'm missing it, but how does that factor in to the new Extended Contest resolution system?

Brian Curley