Re: a thread on rpg.net about the HQ2.0 preview

From: Graham Spearing <graham_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 12:15:43 -0000

> Very interesting indeed. Thanks Christian (is it Christian?) and the
> writer from Sheffield.

That would be me and no problem! The preview deserves some exposure, some buzz.

> Is anyone at liberty to describe a bit the system for setting
> opposition levels according to the game situation?

The 'Base' around which you modify up or down depending on Story logic is set in a number of ways.

  1. Narrator judgement. This always trumps everything else and you set the Base at a level that induces the right flow of success and failure.
  2. If you use the standard character generation method then there is a standard resistance table that increases on a session basis. So after three sessions it goes up and so on. There are two columns, one for your base resistance and one for augments.
  3. Based on the highest PC ability (-13).

I think setting the base is one of the key elements to HQ2.0.

The Pass/Fail cycle is, of course, optional and subservient to the Narrators judgement.

Hope this helps!

Best

Graham
(First Age on rpg.net)