Re: Feats, Spells, Charms, etc.

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 08:27:44 -0700

Darren

>So do Feats Spells and Charms have any distinct rules then, or are
>they all the same rules wise and only differ in their application to
>the story? From comments made on this list and others and seminars at
>Tentacles and Continuum, I was under the impressions that Feats,
>Spells and Charms all followed the same rules, but reading the play
>test rules this is appears not to be the case and each magical system
>follows different rules like before?

The Continuum draft states "All kinds of magic are equivalent: Despite the different magic types, in rules terms all kinds of magic are alike: each is an Ability, so the Flying feat, Eagle Flight spirit, and Fly spell are equivalent."

The underlying approach to magic is different, and although HeroQuest is not a Glorantha simulator, it does reflect this to some extent.

If you have the Continuum draft and are confused, please e-mail me so we can clarify things.

(Hopefully this is also a reminder that things could change between the Continuum draft and release, even though we don't expect anything major.)

--

David Dunham