Re: HQ2, cultural key-words, runes.....

From: Bryan <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 21:32:39 -0000

> I'm not clear exactly what you're asking here,

Maybe I should have given an example or two.

Example 1: Imagine that I have a Rinliddi character, who is a devotee of a god and has put most of her HP into her three affinities. Do all Rinliddi get a certain rune? What about the three affinities which don't seem to collapse down into two runes too well?

Example 2: Say I'm running a trader prince game that I want to switch over to HQ2. There is a wenelian, who has some ancestor charms from the people of oak and storm tradition, a feat from his wolf totem (and he is looking at getting a wolf spirit), he has joined the Silver-Bark tradition, and of course he has an array of common magic.

All male Heortlings get the Storm rune. Wenelians are related to the Heortlings in some ways, but are not the same. Do the male Wenelians all get the storm rune? Or do they get the ancestor rune since that seems to be a big part of their traditions? Or is theirs a culture where not everyone gets the same rune? Do totems translate to a beast rune, or are they treated just as some bonus magic? What is the right rune for the canoe-cult?

Then there is another character who is a blue-skin muleskinner brought up in the cult of St. Castelain and part of the St. Giles the Pennitant practice. There is a very standard Prelori, and then there is the really odd Puma Person who is specialized in common magic and is strongly part of the Dormal heroband (from Men of the Sea). All the same sort of issues apply with them.

I would not _need_ someone to answer those questions for me. If there will be no official errata I'll make up own interpretations--I think most people who have played much in Glorantha have gotten pretty good at winging things. But no doubt my translations would be different from yours, which would be different from those of Jeff who wrote BoG, and so on.

So my question is really: are there plans to give some official listing of runes associated with various key-words that were published for HQ1, or else some semi-official guidance on conversion practices?  If not, fine, those who will be affected can all start thinking about how we'll handle such things, maybe start talking it out on some of the lists, and maybe come up with some good ideas, rules of thumb, and our own lists. If yes, it would be nice to have an idea of the timeline, so that conversion planning can take that into account.

Maybe once I've seen the HQ2 appendix the conversion will really obvious, and these questions are silly, I don't know.

--Bryan