Re: Re: HQ2, cultural key-words, runes.....

From: paul_at_...
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 12:47:15 +0100

metcalph_at_... wrote:
> The Lords of Oak and Storm actually appears under the heading of
> Common Magic and Mixed Religions. While many of the magics
> granted by the LoOaS are common magics, the magics conferred
> by specific entities of the Wenelian tradition, Storm Pantheon
> and Trader Princes are not.

I'm talking specifically about the Common Magic religion.

> So to actually convert the LoOaS (using that as shorthand for the
> entire array of divinities worshipped by the Wenelians) to HQ2, one
> would treat it as a mixed religion. Are there any penalties for mixed
> religions in HQ2? What about concentration (which may be junked
> given the lack of in-world clarity about it and the trend towards
> simplification)?

There is no problem with a mixed pantheon (e.g. Kolat within the Storm Tribe). There is no problem in people joining religions of different types (except at the upper levels). Concentration is not present as a rules concept, but it is implicit for Devotees and Shamans and Adepts have equivalent restrictions.

However the rules we have at present do not really support a single cult which offers a mix of magic types at even the most basic level and the unfocussed nature of the collection of feats, charms, spells and talents is a further obstacle.

In short, while the Common Magic Lords of Oak and Storm religion is a very nice creation for HQ 1 it is awkward to convert it to the current draft HQ 2.0 rules. If the final version could find a little more space to explain Common Magic, then I would welcome it.