Re: HQ2 Extended Contest Question

From: Paul King <paul_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 18:17:48 +0000

On 24 Nov 2008, at 14:18, Jamie wrote:

> So my question is, as currently written, is it correct to adjust
> resistances within an extended contest? Alternately, is the contest
> supposed to be static throughout? I am interested in the intent of the
> rules as opposed to a 'do whatever feels right' response.

The Pass/Fail cycle advice indeed advises changing resistance, but it is supposed to be a "fallback" when there is no other criterion. You could change conditions to give the characters better odds. They could also try changing approach so that the resistance is different (as they could under HQ1).

I'm not even sure what the difference you are so concerned about is. Is it that the stakes of the exchange are fixed, rather than bid ? Or the more narrative approach to assigning resistances ?