4 Worlds Ontology [was : Misapplied Worship]

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 10:22:00 +0200

Henrix :

> Jonas Schi�tt wrote :
> > If this is true, and it wasn't 'misapplied', the "Three Otherworlds"
> > paradigm is crumbling rapidly, IMO.

Don't think so. The idea that there are 4 confused Worlds* is actually a pretty good game rule. Despite some of the fudging that can issue from overly strict/loose application/obedience of the paradigm.

Not something that the rules books are guilty of, AFAI can see ...

Less of a paradigm ; more a balancing act !

> I can't stop thinking that if some group started giving the wrong sort of
> worship to an Otherwordly Being, wouldn't they start having different myths
> about It, and thereby change how the Being actually was, at least in their
> eyes.

As I understand it, they'd change how the being was in their eyes, but not how the being _Is_ in his 'transcendental' essence of the Other Side (that Inner World worshippers cannot easily affect).

Less obfuscatingly, these are beings that have independent existence.

As in the RW, saying something about X doesn't make it true ; nor is X's own nature modified by the mistaken beliefs of others.

> I thought that the myth was about as close to the Truth you'd ever get.

Nope.

You've been listening to too many post-modernists, young man ...

I'd go so far as to agree that your mode of worship will affect *you* (including how your magic works) ; but not the Other Side Source of the energies that you're 'channeling'.

cheers,

Julian Lord