Re: Newbie Questions

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 11:44:12 -0000

> What is the benefit of only using them as Augments? Do they suffer
> loss consequences? Or do augments increase your TN?

If you use them as Augments they add the Augment to both the TN and the AP, but the amount they add will be less. If you add their ability directly to the AP then you will get more AP, but your TN won't increase. I don't think it makes a difference to the level of loss they will suffer if you are unsuccessful, but it might make a difference to how that loss is applied, depencing on how you describe the augmentation.

> So what happens if the penalty pushes your TN to 0 or below?

If your TN drops to 0 or below then you will always fail (at best!)

> A couple of additional questions:
> 1) How would you handle something during an extended challenge
wherein
> a character tries to force an opponent to use a different
> skill/affinity hoping they have a lower Tn? For example,
disarming an
> opponent (I know this might end some extended contests, but say you
> were in a tavern brawl where they would just switch to punching
you or
> something)? Basically, I'm wondering how a creative player might
> force an opponent into a disadvantage during a contest, when that
> disadvantage wasn't part of determining the nature of the contest.

The opponent is forced to use the lower TN, but you both continue the contest with your current AP totals

> 2) Edges... I notice they aren't in HQ (or at least I haven't come
> across them yet). Any idea why they got pulled out?

They are still an optional rule I think, but were removed to "simplify" things - apart from anything else they have no effect in simple contests. (And I think one of the "lessons" form Hero Wars was that it isn't always best, or even necessary to use extended contests).

> 3) Magic Items-I've noticed that some items (normal gear, Iron
gear)
> doesn't have a rating, where some items on example character
sheets,
> seems to. When should 'magic items' have a TN all their own, and
when
> should they just be something that does X or provides Y bonus?

Again I think the general intention was that if you were a warrior with "Sword & Shield 5W" then that 5W assumes you are using a sword & shield, so there is no need to keep a separate note that you need to add +3 for your sword, and another +3 for your shield, while your opponent does the same, effectively cancelling out the bonuses. Instead if you are caught unarmed and want to improvise a weapon using a chair leg, the GM would assign a penalty to your Sword & Shield. The idea is that the important thing is the Hero and not the mundane (or relatively so) equipment he is using. A "Magic Weapon" - particularly if it is a "Named Weapon" - The Windsword from Griffen Mountain, Ballastors Axe, Arkats Unbreakable Sword etc will have a rating which might be used to augment your attack, (or to attack directly augmented by your skill in some cases)