Re: Augmenting One Ability With Another

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 12:56:56 -0000

While I don't have a copy of the Continuum playtest rules, I believe you are largely correct.

> Perhaps this was a violent reaction to the brain numbing trait
> whoring from HQ1?

It's a return to the "original" concept in Hero Wars in many ways. Both approaches have their plus and minus points. If you are grappling with a great troll, then shouldn't he always get the benefit of his "large", "strong" and "always hungry" - so limiting him to one augment seems "wrong" - on the other hand, if he is always getting the benefits of those augments, why not just treat them as part of the core ability, so anything that is actually used to augment is of genuine significance? At the time I thought the new HQ augmentation rules were an improvement over the Hero Wars rules, but now I'm not so sure...

> It's one of the areas that I address in my 'Your HeroQuest May
> Vary' article that I have worked up in anticipation of the actual
> finished version coming out.

The good thing about HQ is that it is fairly easy to vary - providing everyone in the specific game is playing in the same way (including the GM*) the game will work whether you use automatic or rolled augments, and whether you limit the number of permitted augments to 1, 3 or 103

(*The GM may need to do some additional preparation if they are using a scenario written by someone with a different set of assumptions)

Where can we expect to see your article appearing?