Introduction: An experienced newbie...

From: apluther_at_...
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 02:02:27 -0000

Greetings, all.

I just joined the group, and so I'm introducing myself (as per the request of the group owner).

My name is Andrew, and I've been playing rpg's for around 30 years, starting with the old red-box D&D. I tried just about every rpg I've had a chance to play, both mainstream and indie. The best campaigns I've run have been in WFRP (first edition), Vampire: The Masquerade, and Star Wars.

I'm almost always the GM, at the request of my players. I've introduced a couple dozen people to rpg's over the last 10 years through the original d6 Star Wars, Mutants & Masterminds, and Wushu. I hate elitism in gamers, and feel completely at-home running indie games like Sorcerer, Houses of the Blooded, and Dogs in the Vineyard for some players, and mainstream games like Dungeons & Dragons (any edition including 4th), Traveller, and WFRP for others.

I purchased the pdf of Heroquest some time ago, but haven't had a chance to run it yet. However, my wife and I are starting a one-on- one fantasy campaign shortly, and Heroquest seems perfect for what I want to do. I'm not interested in Glorantha (the world just doesn't grab me), but the Heroquest rules are exactly the right level of complexity and provide support exactly where I want it for this new campaign.

Anyway, after that long-winded intro, I'll probably end up lurking for a bit while I get up to speed on the discussions going on. I'm a pretty busy guy (late 30's, father, husband, full-time job in marketing communications), so I have to scrape up time for my own hobbies when and where I can.

Thanks,

Andrew