Re: Augmenting One Ability With Another

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 14:20:37 -0000

I'll start by reminding you that I don't have a copy of the "Continuum" play test rules, so what I am offering is merely my opinion based on what I have seen and heard, and not necessarily indicative of the content or intention of the new rules when they go on general release...

I think the intention is not to get rid of the abilities that you can use to execute different strategies, but those that you (pretty much always) use regardless (when would a grappling troll *not* use his 'Strong' as an augment?).

The Troll would still have those abilities written down (probably as part of his Troll Keyword), and could still use them independantly in other contests (Again I think what you want/need to write down as part of a keyword has fluctuated between editions. HQ1 with it's "You can augment with any and every applicable ability" approach encourages you to list each ability given by the keyword. My understanding is HQ2, by de-emphasising these abilities means you can generally just write down the keyword. When your Troll PC wants to force open the door he doesn't have to have "Strong" written down specifically, but can use his "Troll" keyword because Trolls *are* strong.

HQ2 Augments are, I believe intended to highlight an aspect of the character particularly relevant to *this* contest, and you generally only get one - what is most important to you *right now*. There will be fewer augments, but they will generally make more of an impact on the contest than any single augment did under HQ1.

I'm not sure I'd even have a problem if you ended up using your one augment to use an ability that might be conisdered part of the base level - so if the Troll in the above example wants to augment with "Always Hungry" - It it is the most relevant ability that he has to augment with then it is obviously telling us something important about the troll - and he's not getting to use any other augments if he does use it.