Re: 2 handgrenades

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 08:22:40 -0800

> They look for a kidnapped member of the group, so their goal is to
> find their crew member unharmed...

> But how about the second handgrenade ?
> Whats the difference between throwing one handgrenade or two in rule
> terms ?
> Does the character get an auto augment from his *throw handgrenade* to
> the *throw handgrenade* ? (lets say he has throw handgrenade 5M, so he
> gets an auto-augment of +3).

Is there a limited number of grenades in the party? Are you making them "expend" how many they use?

If "No", then don't bother with augments and all that - throwing 2 grenades instead of 1 is just a cool move; narrate the bigger bang as a bigger bang, but in game terms it's just the same as throwing one.

If "yes", then you should give the double-grenade some sort of bonus. The player is using up resources, and so expects (and deserves) a bigger bang.

What sort of augments could you use? Off the top of my head, I might do any of the following:

Assuming that your augmented single-grenade attack is 5w3.

You *could* just augment "throw grenade" with "throw grenade", but that yields a low bonus (8w3) *and* is against the letter of the rules (can't augment a skill with itself).

Instead of the base "Throw grenade 5w" skill, use the augmented "Throw grenade plus cave-in plus explosion-in-small-space 5w3", so the auto augment would be +7 instead of +3 (12w3).

You could allow a double attack (-3 to the target number; that's 2 attacks at 2w3 instead of one attack at 5w3)

You could double one or both of the "cave-in" or "Explosion in small space" augments - make the augment +60 instead of +40 (5w4 instead of 5w3)

Give the grenades their own explosion damage (say, 16w). Modify your "Grenade Explosion" with "Throw Grenade" (+3) plus a second "Grenade Explosion" (+4) for a total of +7; add the Cave-in and Small Space mods for a total of 3w4.

And, of course, hope the player doesn't Fumble the roll...

RR