Problems with Spirit cults

From: James Turner <j.a.turner_at_...>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 11:59:46 +0100

Jonas:
>So in the example on p.212, Koschei would instead learn the
>Lord of Snow Tradition and get easier access to Snow Spirits. Cheaper in
>Hero Points, more useful in the long run, and better integrated with the
>animistic worldview.
>
>The current rules for Spirit Cults seem more like an attempt to shoehorn
>in the effects they had in RQ than anything else...

But there is nothing in the rules that prevents any old shaman from trying to find a snow spirit and capturing it. You don't need a Lord of Snow Tradition ability, you don't even need a Lord of Snow big spirit.

I see the nomads using these Praxian spirit cults as a way to get unique and strange abilities outside of thier normal traditions. If you think the affinity idea in the HW rules sounds too theistic just change it to spirits/fetishes.

Shaman learns about a powerful spirit. He attempts to meet with it, learns the rituals, goes to sacred place etc. Meets with the spirit and successfully interacts with it, gains any limitations/geases it has. Goes away with its special power either as an integrated spirit (effectively the same as an affinity anyway) or in a fetish.

James Turner
Systems Support Officer
University of Aberdeen
j.a.turner_at_...